Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Cubicle worker.

All,

I work in an office and am looking for a fruit plant for my desk. My
desk is in a cubicle which is ten feet any from a standard tinted
office window so the only real light source for the plant will have to
be the fluorescent overhead lights seven feet above the desk. The
temperature of the office is pretty much a standard 70F M-F but might
range from 60F-80F on the weekends throughout the year. I have read
in this group that fluorescent lights are ineffectual if they are more
that six inches away from the plant but so is life.

I would like for the plant to be a fruit plant (more interesting topic
of conversation) than just a standard plant. Also, a plant that does
not release pollen would be beneficial, nor one that attracts flies,
nor one that grows over, say, 2.5 feet tall.

I thought that maybe two small pepper plants would look pretty in a
clay pot that is eighteen inches long, eight inches wide, six inches
deep. One with red peppers and the other with yellow peppers? I am
not sure..

I look forward to any advice and/or suggestions. I will keep the
group posted on the purchase and any comments from the locals.

Peter

Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Fito

wrote in message
om...

Peter

Please consider disguising your email address. You are about to get all
types of spam.

Fito

Old 09-08-2003, 03:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

) wrote:

All,

I work in an office and am looking for a fruit plant for my desk. My
desk is in a cubicle which is ten feet any from a standard tinted
office window so the only real light source for the plant will have to
be the fluorescent overhead lights seven feet above the desk. The
temperature of the office is pretty much a standard 70F M-F but might
range from 60F-80F on the weekends throughout the year. I have read
in this group that fluorescent lights are ineffectual if they are more
that six inches away from the plant but so is life.

ummm... without light the plants won't grow and would probably die
off.

I would like for the plant to be a fruit plant (more interesting topic
of conversation) than just a standard plant. Also, a plant that does
not release pollen would be beneficial, nor one that attracts flies,
nor one that grows over, say, 2.5 feet tall.

I thought that maybe two small pepper plants would look pretty in a
clay pot that is eighteen inches long, eight inches wide, six inches
deep. One with red peppers and the other with yellow peppers? I am
not sure..

The color of the fruit may not matter enoughh. If you get the plant to
the point where it would bear fruit, which may be tough, they would be
all green fruits. The fruits only ripen to another color at the very
end. Leaving ripe fruit on the plant after it ripens will tell the
plant it is done reproducing and it will stop producing fruit...ending
the show of color. Your desire for color would be self-limiting. My
peppers grown outside have been growing 5 months now and while I've
got plenty of peppers not a single one is anything but green. Also
peppers grow best in 85 degree weather...much warmer than the typical
cubicle...so you would probably see limited growth without sunlight
warming the plant to a higher temp.

I look forward to any advice and/or suggestions. I will keep the
group posted on the purchase and any comments from the locals.

Peter

Maybe some bizarre flowers with unusual seed pods, or something with
small berries. Some plants take forever to show color and some show it
for only a short period of time. Finding plants with interesting
foliage fills in some interest while you are waiting.

I wouldn't worry about size. A pair of heavy scissors or pruning
shears will keep any plant in check. Some only look good when you
prune them back and force them to fill out bushy-like.

Most of the variety people enjoy in plants(flowers,fruits,veggies)
need strong light(full sun). You'll probably need to provide a light
source on a timer for whatever you grow.

I'm not sure which would work well inside. A mix would make it
interesting. I grew Nigella which are funky little plants. Flowers
are short lived but odd little seed pods last. I love the Angel's
Trumpet and it will definitely get noticed by people. People love
passion flowers--although I think they look rather alien. I wouldn't
know if these would be easy to grow indoors or not.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Bpyboy

My thoughts:

At my university, they were totally cool about letting me grow some tomatoes
and stuff around the corner of the building. They all grumbled at first, but
they turned on to the idea when my profs would pick a couple of tomatoes on the
way in in the morning.

The plants sort of became a focal point for our department. ANd you would be
amazed at how people, even in the middle of the city, will not damage your
plants. Even college students think that it's a pretty cool way to spend some
time.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
EvelynMcH

There are some decorative, non-edible miniature peppers that might work under
those conditions. The fruit is pretty, and stays on the plant for a long time.

You might also look into a "goldfish" plant, with has flowers that look like
-duh- goldfish. I was able to grow them and spaths (which do not have the color
you are looking for) on my desk with only distant window lighting and overhead
flourescents.

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein