Old 09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default a few pet peeves

"Moderately fragrant" or "lightly fragrant." In my experience, that
means "fragrance just perceptible" all too often, though I've been
pleasantly surprised. (And, of course, fragrance varies with
conditions: climate, soil, etc.) I have an unusually sensitive nose,
and if I can barely detect a smell from a "moderately fragrant" rose,
I've very disappointed.

"For those who prefer a smaller rose[bush]." Okay, if you like
miniatures or if you have a small garden, that's a selling point.
I'm fortunate enough to have room, and I want BIG rosebushes.
Temperatures rarely go under 20F here in the winter (zone 8b),
which helps roses get big, but the assumption that I actually
prefer itty-bitty bushes or "ramblers" that can barely hit 10 feet
annoys the heck out of me. I realize that there's more money in
3-foot bushes and 10-foot climbers, as most people don't have
a whole lot of room. A few of the Austins get big in warm
climates, but few if any breeders seem to be producing tall shrubs
or massive climbers on purpose, as an aim of a breeding program.

Heirloom Roses (www.heirloomroses.com) does have a few
roses classed under "Ramblers" that are fairly recent, fairly big,
and in some cases remontant: this is encouraging. I know nothing
of them apart from the catalog descriptions, but Cherries Jubilee
(red, once-bloomer, 14 ft.), Christmas Snow (white, once but long
season, 14 ft., and that damned "lightly fragrant" again), the
German-bred Super Dorothy and Super Excelsa (12 ft., but
remontant), and some of their others might be worth a try.

It's probably foolish of me to expect any recent introductions to
be huge plants, remontant, and strongly scented. No doubt a
reliable repeat bloom means that the plant has less energy to
grow large, for one thing. But if anyone knows of such roses,
do let me know. At least there are the older varieties out there.

Mark.