Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Eroyee

Default Finally....

... I feel like I'm reasonably ready to buy my first orchid, and will do this
in the morning.
The plant I chose is the Neofinetia falcata, mainly because its flower being
so very pretty, I also liked the story behind it;

snip
"Samurai warriors grew Neofinetia falcata, known eulogistically as 'an
orchid of wealth and nobility'. Many of the feudal lords were also very
attached to this species, and the tale is told that they carried the plants
with them on journeys between Edo, (now Tokyo) and their own dominions."
Reportedly, the plant was also a sign of the Samurai warrior's bravery,
prowess and training, for he would cross treacherous waters to wilderness
islands where the orchid grew abundantly, bringing one back to public
acclaim.
/snip

Anyway the fact that it has a nice fragrance (especially at night) is what
drew me to it. I still am nervous, but.. Am sure I'll grow it fine.. Will be
living in a pot next to the window in the living room (not sure where it's
facing though, I am pretty sure it's east-north east)..
I'm worried, however, about the fact that it might need wind or air
movement. I'm thinking about buying (as has been recommended in a previous
post) a computer fan or a power supply.. (they're about 40 dollars).. And
have it running..
Does anyone have any other ideas?
I thought about buying a little 12volt electric motor and a small propeller
and hooking it up with a few batteries, but the fact that I'd have to get a
new battery every week can be a bit costly.

Will I even need this?

Well am sure that at the nursery they'll be able to give me a ton of
information (hopefully)..
If anyone would like to add anything to this.. It will be so very
appreciated..

I will post again in the morning, when I will be the proud owner of a
beautiful little orchid. : )