Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Eroyee

Default Finally....

... I feel like I'm reasonably ready to buy my first orchid, and will do this
in the morning.
The plant I chose is the Neofinetia falcata, mainly because its flower being
so very pretty, I also liked the story behind it;

snip
"Samurai warriors grew Neofinetia falcata, known eulogistically as 'an
orchid of wealth and nobility'. Many of the feudal lords were also very
attached to this species, and the tale is told that they carried the plants
with them on journeys between Edo, (now Tokyo) and their own dominions."
Reportedly, the plant was also a sign of the Samurai warrior's bravery,
prowess and training, for he would cross treacherous waters to wilderness
islands where the orchid grew abundantly, bringing one back to public
acclaim.
/snip

Anyway the fact that it has a nice fragrance (especially at night) is what
drew me to it. I still am nervous, but.. Am sure I'll grow it fine.. Will be
living in a pot next to the window in the living room (not sure where it's
facing though, I am pretty sure it's east-north east)..
I'm worried, however, about the fact that it might need wind or air
movement. I'm thinking about buying (as has been recommended in a previous
post) a computer fan or a power supply.. (they're about 40 dollars).. And
have it running..
Does anyone have any other ideas?
I thought about buying a little 12volt electric motor and a small propeller
and hooking it up with a few batteries, but the fact that I'd have to get a
new battery every week can be a bit costly.

Will I even need this?

Well am sure that at the nursery they'll be able to give me a ton of
information (hopefully)..
If anyone would like to add anything to this.. It will be so very
appreciated..

I will post again in the morning, when I will be the proud owner of a
beautiful little orchid. : )

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Eroyee

Just one quick and further question in regards to tomorrow's acquisition....

What is the difference, if they have two plants that are the same, but one
is $20 and the other is $85?

What should I look for? Should it be in full bloom or still have some buds?

Thanks to all..

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Bolero

If the plants look the same in size then the difference will be the quality
and colour of the flowers.

There is a reason for the difference if they are at the same nursery.

THe $85 one could be a show winner.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
sneff

Hi Eroyee,

There could be all sorts of reasons that one plant is 20 bucks, and another
85 bucks.

The most likely suspect is what bolero already said. A show awarded plant,
or a superior cultivar version of the species. Look at the tag. After the
species name - Neofinetia falcata, there might be another word or name in
inverted commas. This often delineates a superior cultivar, but it may pay
to do a bit of net research on the name to be sure. Awards will be signalled
by one or more upper case acronyms - such as AM or HCC etc. I'm useless with
show award so maybe someone can jump in and help me here with an
explanation.

The more expensive plant could also be a "specimen plant" - another name for
a fully mature and "bursting with healthy vitality" plant. Could be a good
deal if this is the case.

However - if the two are tagged the same, and of similar size, and the more
expensive one is the only one in bloom - give it a miss. 60 bucks is a lot
to pay simply for a blooming plant.

Good luck,
Matthew

Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Steve

Eroyee wrote:
What is the difference, if they have two plants that are the same, but one
is $20 and the other is $85?

If you buy both plants you will soon see the difference. The $85 plant
will die, no matter how hard you try to keep it happy, and the $20 one
will grow fine. :-)

Steve

Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
mg

My Neofinitia Falcata is blooming right now in a southwest window
supplemented by flourescent lights. It probably gets up to 90 farenheit
during the day down to 70 at night. The night fragrance is delicious!