Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Deswinds

Default new pond owner questions

This is my first pond and although familiar with aquariums this is a bit
different.

1 - Do I need to remove the goldfish and shubunkins to an indoor aquarium or
something for the winter? It gets cold here but not terribly. Can dip below
zero in the winter but not often. Snow rarely sits on the ground for long,
but we do get an occassional few days where a few inches just doesn't melt
off. It is a lined pond about 6x8x2' deep. In the winter there will be no
filtration as it's too cold for above ground pump to run without freezing. I
don't *think* the water would freeze solid but would expect the top few
inches might at the worst part of the winter since the water wouldn't be
moving then.

2- I've not as of yet put any plants in the pond but would like to. Do they
generally need to be removed (brought in) for the winter? or are do they go
dormant for the winter?

3- Any recomendations as to what type of plants to put in the pond? We live
in central oregon (zone 8, I believe).

Any advice is MUCh appreciated.
TIA,
Carol