Old 09-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Default [IBC] Desperately Seeking Succor (Osteomeles)

I probably mentioned this before, but I got no answers. A Web search revealed
places selling Osteomeles, several URLs in Czech, my own question, and a
Spaniard who knows less than I do. The person who runs a Web site devoted to the
Rosaceae has been too busy.
I have a successful (but not outstanding) bonsai of Osteomeles
anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda, whose only fault is that it needs regular fungicide
spraying in this rainy weather. What I am trying to find out is 1. How do I get it to
bloom? 2. How much of a dormant period does it need?, and 3. When can I repot
it? It was last potted a year ago December, but it needs a smaller pot.
Apparently it is grown more in Europe. The variety is from China, but I
haven't seen any pictures of it from either China or Japan. If you don't know
anything about the species, can you point me to someone who does?
Incidentally, I definitely recommend it. The leaves are interesting, they
reduce well, it buds back sufficiently, it ramifies, it grows outdoors & under
lights; what more do you want? Except for leaf spotting, which is easily
controlled, it hasn't had any other pests or diseases. Only other fault is that big
pruning scars heal very slowly. And of course, like most subtropicals, you
don't get significant trunk taper.
Thanks,
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++