Old 09-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Default [IBC] Desperately Seeking Succor (Osteomeles)

I probably mentioned this before, but I got no answers. A Web search revealed
places selling Osteomeles, several URLs in Czech, my own question, and a
Spaniard who knows less than I do. The person who runs a Web site devoted to the
Rosaceae has been too busy.
I have a successful (but not outstanding) bonsai of Osteomeles
anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda, whose only fault is that it needs regular fungicide
spraying in this rainy weather. What I am trying to find out is 1. How do I get it to
bloom? 2. How much of a dormant period does it need?, and 3. When can I repot
it? It was last potted a year ago December, but it needs a smaller pot.
Apparently it is grown more in Europe. The variety is from China, but I
haven't seen any pictures of it from either China or Japan. If you don't know
anything about the species, can you point me to someone who does?
Incidentally, I definitely recommend it. The leaves are interesting, they
reduce well, it buds back sufficiently, it ramifies, it grows outdoors & under
lights; what more do you want? Except for leaf spotting, which is easily
controlled, it hasn't had any other pests or diseases. Only other fault is that big
pruning scars heal very slowly. And of course, like most subtropicals, you
don't get significant trunk taper.
Thanks,
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim Lewis

I have a successful (but not outstanding) bonsai of Osteomeles
anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda, whose only fault is that it

needs regular fungicide
spraying in this rainy weather. What I am trying to find out is

1. How do I get it to
bloom? 2. How much of a dormant period does it need?, and 3.

When can I repot
it? It was last potted a year ago December, but it needs a

smaller pot.
Apparently it is grown more in Europe. The variety is from

China, but I
haven't seen any pictures of it from either China or Japan.

I don't think I've ever seen one. However, "Botanica" says it is
"easy to grow" in "any soil." The species they discuss (not
yours) lives in zones 8-10, fairly narrow, and indicative of a
short dormancy -- if any. It blooms sprint to early summer. The
book doesn't say whether on old or new wood.

Mary Miller ) may have some knowledge. She's
an IBCer, but has not been on the list in some time now.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I have a successful (but not outstanding) bonsai of Osteomeles
anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda, whose only fault is that it needs
regular fungicide spraying in this rainy weather.

Oh, man, you aren't kidding. I just successfully defeated a scale
infestation on it (its other big problem), and now I have blackspot
to deal with.

What I am trying to find out is 1. How do I get it to
bloom?

No idea.

2. How much of a dormant period does it need?,

Not much of one, that I can see. I bring it in every winter and it
does very well even under poor indoor conditions. It loses a few,
but not all, leaves, stops growing for a while, and then perks up
when I put it outside in spring.

and 3. When can I repot
it? It was last potted a year ago December, but it needs a smaller pot.

I'd certainly wait until spring. My tree literally bursts with new
growth in spring.

Incidentally, I definitely recommend it. The leaves are interesting, they
reduce well, it buds back sufficiently, it ramifies, it grows outdoors & under
lights; what more do you want?

Well, its growth-form defeats my ability to style it. It's a
scrambler, and I feel sure I'll someday figure out how to get it to
weep gracefully, but now it looks like a terrible hump-backed mistake.

--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD