Old 09-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Desperately Seeking Succor (Osteomeles)

I have a successful (but not outstanding) bonsai of Osteomeles
anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda, whose only fault is that it

needs regular fungicide
spraying in this rainy weather. What I am trying to find out is

1. How do I get it to
bloom? 2. How much of a dormant period does it need?, and 3.

When can I repot
it? It was last potted a year ago December, but it needs a

smaller pot.
Apparently it is grown more in Europe. The variety is from

China, but I
haven't seen any pictures of it from either China or Japan.

I don't think I've ever seen one. However, "Botanica" says it is
"easy to grow" in "any soil." The species they discuss (not
yours) lives in zones 8-10, fairly narrow, and indicative of a
short dormancy -- if any. It blooms sprint to early summer. The
book doesn't say whether on old or new wood.

Mary Miller ) may have some knowledge. She's
an IBCer, but has not been on the list in some time now.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++