Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default Why top posting is bad. was: Gardening - test

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:41:36 GMT
"Anne Lurie" wrote:

What's the big complaint about top posting, anyway? Unless there are
multiple parts to debate, it makes a *lot* more sense to me -- at
least it's much easier to figure exactly who the current poster is.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

(copied from one who explains better than I)

If you reply above the quoted text, this'll happen (and trust me,
I've seen it happen):

Reply 3
Reply 2
Original post
Reply 1

Reply 4

As you can see, it makes a mess of a thread. Bottom-posting and good
snipping makes a thread readable. Because of the asynchronous,
distributed nature of Usenet, the chronological order of the thread
might not be the same as the order the posts are delivered.
Therefore it's vital that the message itself is in chronological
order. An argument in favour of top-posting is that the reader
doesn't have to scroll all the way down to read the reply. Removing
unneeded quoted text voids that argument, since the text will begin
a few lines from the top.

If you think these arguments aren't enough, try one of the following
sites:

http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/
http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm
http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html