Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default Why top posting is bad. was: Gardening - test

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:41:36 GMT
"Anne Lurie" wrote:

What's the big complaint about top posting, anyway? Unless there are
multiple parts to debate, it makes a *lot* more sense to me -- at
least it's much easier to figure exactly who the current poster is.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

(copied from one who explains better than I)

If you reply above the quoted text, this'll happen (and trust me,
I've seen it happen):

Reply 3
Reply 2
Original post
Reply 1

Reply 4

As you can see, it makes a mess of a thread. Bottom-posting and good
snipping makes a thread readable. Because of the asynchronous,
distributed nature of Usenet, the chronological order of the thread
might not be the same as the order the posts are delivered.
Therefore it's vital that the message itself is in chronological
order. An argument in favour of top-posting is that the reader
doesn't have to scroll all the way down to read the reply. Removing
unneeded quoted text voids that argument, since the text will begin
a few lines from the top.

If you think these arguments aren't enough, try one of the following
sites:

http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/
http://www.jsiinc.com/newsgroup_document.htm
http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html
http://allmyfaqs.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl...bottom-posting

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:03 AM

it is a nested set. how many of those little "" things indicate what words go with
what person. the one with the most was the first person in the queue.
99% of the time who said what and in what order isnt important anyway. That part of
the message is just reference.
OTOH, I just delete messages where all I see is quoted material at the top. I dont
bother to scroll down on the off chance there is something there. Ingrid

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote:
If you reply above the quoted text, this'll happen (and trust me,
I've seen it happen):

Reply 3
Reply 2
Original post
Reply 1
Reply 4

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:04 PM

Found this laying on the side of the ride. It was still
twitching so I'm posting it here. A very short thread between
a way too cool cat and a usenet-"do it my way"-dweeb ("d").

- - - - - - - - -

Not so. Take google news for instance. Replies added at the
bottom will not appear without extra steps taken by the reader,
and this reader won't bother. The correct location is wherever
you put it. If you want to put it on the bottom because it's
not very important (I, as most, won't page over no-telling-how-
many-pages to see someone write, "me too"), then do it. If I,
knowing full well everything I write is very important, put it
on top, then on top is correct.

d [Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:03:41 +0100]:
Thats ok, but please remember the correct format for replies is to put you
text below or interleaved with an editted version of orginal message. If you

News readers use message ids as references, and any competent
newsreader can thread back to see things in full context, if
needed, even going back to the news server to pick up more.

- - - -

"Anal" is a psychological condition. You have demonstrated this
condition. It may make perfect sense to you, but us regular
folk would rather do what makes us happy, and makes sense to us,
rather than what makes you happy. You post on the bottom if you
want, but if you can't meet over this very simple thing, get help!

d [Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:01:50 +0100]:
The authorative texts on the convensions which you should be usin
and other newsgroups are given below, please read and understand.

- -

So what is it to you how I or anyone construct replies? You're anal,
that's all there is to it. Accept it. Get help if you want. The
fact is, putting a reply on the bottom of mountains of other replies
is ridiculous. That's all there is to that. Or, how about just
getting a life?

d [Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:54:31 +0100]:
position. Childish name calling, and "sod you

--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD

Old 10-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Hal

I think these references need updating.

Regards,

Hal

Old 10-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:10:52 -0700
Hal wrote:

I think these references need updating.

Regards,

Hal

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 04:02:51 GMT, "Cybe R. Wizard"
wrote:

eliminated one that no longer exists
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Done. Thanks.

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 10-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Tom La Bron

I always top post. And I like it very much if others top post also. If you
are reading/interested in the thread you usually know the gist of what is
being relayed by the poster. In this message's case I have to page down
three time to just to read, "Done. Thanks. Cybe R Wizard."

If you top post I see what you have to say right away. Bottom posting is
especially frustrating when no one has deleted five or six messages above
it. The only time I see it necessary to post within a message is there is
a lot of questions and/or someone needs a lot of help. But first may a top
post statement that that is what I am doing.

Tom L.L.
--------------------------------------
"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message

Done. Thanks.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 10-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:47:21 -0500
"Tom La Bron" wrote:

And I like it very much if others top post also. If you
are reading/interested in the thread you usually know the gist of what
is being relayed by the poster. In this message's case I have to page
down three time to just to read, "Done. Thanks. Cybe R Wizard."

There were only thirteen lines in my message. How is it possible that
you had to page down three times? Perhaps you need a good newsreader.
need to turn off the HTML, turn off most of the headers, or some other
thing that is giving you so much extra garbage?
Anyway, do whatever it is that you like best, regardless of the
conventions, long thought out and established, of the internet. After
all, Microsoft doesn't care for any of those conventions, why should
you?
Besides, I know how to either scroll down, page down, use 'end,' or just
delete the danged top postings and am not too lazy to do so.
At least I have HTML under control with /this/ cool newsreader.

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Besides, I know how to either scroll down, page down, use 'end,' or just
delete the danged top postings and am not too lazy to do so.
At least I have HTML under control with /this/ cool newsreader.

Cybe R. Wizard

Have to agree here. When I'm reading rec.ponds one finger of my right hand
sits on Delete an another on Page Down. Delete gives me the next message,
Page down to read all, delete, page down, continue. Only time my hands are
moving else where is to type, or drink tea. ;o)

But then, I really don't care if one is on top or bottom, I'm flexible.
evil smirk ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 14-08-2003, 06:22 AM
zookeeper

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Have to agree here. When I'm reading rec.ponds one finger of my right hand
sits on Delete an another on Page Down. Delete gives me the next message,
Page down to read all, delete, page down, continue. Only time my hands are
moving else where is to type, or drink tea. ;o)

But then, I really don't care if one is on top or bottom, I'm flexible.
evil smirk ~ jan

Yes, one must be flexible to be a good gardener or PORGer snort, and
it's really handy at other times as well. ;-)
--
Zk