Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Simon Avery

Default DO I NEED TO DRAIN POND IN WINTER?

"norraandchris" wrote:

Hello norraandchris

n This might be a silly question for you seasoned pro's out
n there, but I just started learning about ponds and pond
n maintainance, and put one in my yard
n this summer. I've had conflicting advise on draining or not
n draining in winter. I live in Omaha Nebraska, generally the
n winters aren't too cold, but ocassionally can be sub-zero.
n My pond at the deepest point is 4 feet. I have no fish yet,
n no plants yet. Just a pretty pond and a fountain, with
n a plastic liner purchased at The Home
n Depot........thanks.....

Why would you drain it? As long as there's 6-12" of free water under
the ice, and there's a hole through it to let gas out, then the fish
will survive.

BTW, plastic does not a good liner make. Butyl is good, polythene
ain't. (Degrades in sunlight, expect it to go brittle around the edges
in 5 years or so - UNLESS you cover the edges right over down and into
the water level)