Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
norraandchris

Default DO I NEED TO DRAIN POND IN WINTER?

This might be a silly question for you seasoned pro's out there, but I just
started learning about ponds and pond maintainance, and put one in my yard
this summer. I've had conflicting advise on draining or not draining in
winter. I live in Omaha Nebraska, generally the winters aren't too cold, but
ocassionally can be sub-zero. My pond at the deepest point is 4 feet. I have
no fish yet, no plants yet. Just a pretty pond and a fountain, with a
plastic liner purchased at The Home Depot........thanks.....

Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Simon Avery

"norraandchris" wrote:

Hello norraandchris

n This might be a silly question for you seasoned pro's out
n there, but I just started learning about ponds and pond
n maintainance, and put one in my yard
n this summer. I've had conflicting advise on draining or not
n draining in winter. I live in Omaha Nebraska, generally the
n winters aren't too cold, but ocassionally can be sub-zero.
n My pond at the deepest point is 4 feet. I have no fish yet,
n no plants yet. Just a pretty pond and a fountain, with
n a plastic liner purchased at The Home
n Depot........thanks.....

Why would you drain it? As long as there's 6-12" of free water under
the ice, and there's a hole through it to let gas out, then the fish
will survive.

BTW, plastic does not a good liner make. Butyl is good, polythene
ain't. (Degrades in sunlight, expect it to go brittle around the edges
in 5 years or so - UNLESS you cover the edges right over down and into
the water level)

Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:53:46 GMT, norraandchris wrote:

This might be a silly question for you seasoned pro's out there, but I just
started learning about ponds and pond maintainance, and put one in my yard
this summer. I've had conflicting advise on draining or not draining in
winter. I live in Omaha Nebraska, generally the winters aren't too cold, but
ocassionally can be sub-zero. My pond at the deepest point is 4 feet. I have
no fish yet, no plants yet. Just a pretty pond and a fountain, with a
plastic liner purchased at The Home Depot........thanks.....

I'm in the UK but your description sounds similar to the weather here.
We don't drain the pond and even leave the waterfall and stream
running. We may get a half an inch of ice on for two or three days and
the cat goes ice skating :-)

I'd suggest putting plants in first and then fish. I don't like using a
planting medium personally since I want the plants to take their
nutrients from the water so I like them either in gravel in a planter
or just tied to a big stone. You shouldn't feed the fish in the winter
when the water temperature is below 10 degrees celcius. With a four
foot deep pond it's going to be impossible for the pond to freeze to
any depth if you only have a few days at a time below zero (assuming we
are talking celcius).

Going back to freezing, if the sides of the pond slant outwards
slightly to allow the ice to rise as it expands the pond could freeze
solid without damage. You should try to have some method of keeping a
hole open so that the fish can get their oxygen and get rid of the
carbon dioxide. If the outlet from the filter is at or above the
surface this will be enough. If it's below the surface you can put a
venturi in and the bubbles will keep it open. Failing that bubbles from
an air pump will do the same job.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:14:26 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

"norraandchris" wrote:

[...]

You beat me to this one Simon :-)

Have a quick look at
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/aca...e_Pond_Liners_
__Repair_Kits_and_Tape_23.html, there's all sorts of things that would
be classed as plastic nowadays.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:22:08 GMT, norraandchris wrote:

Didn't i say I have no fish and no plants?

Yes, but you also said yet so I assumed you would be adding some.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Richard

"Rodney Pont" wrote in
.dfn.de:

[...]

Hello norraandchris from a fellow midwesterner.
The weather in Nebraska is extreme, temperatures can range from -20F (-
30C) in winter to over 100F (40C) in summer, and it is much drier.

About the pond, is it 'plastic' like they sell for dropcloths, or did you
get a PVC pond liner from Home depot? If it is a pond liner, they are
designed to last for years in the open. If it's just dropcloth platic the
sun will degrade it in a year or two.

As for the water, since you don't have any plants or fish in it yet, you
can either leave the water in or drain it, but if you remove the water
you run the risk of freezing ground pushing in the sides. Once you have
plants and/or fish, you will definitely need to leave the water in. If
you have hardy fish, you can put a bubbler in to keep an open area of
water to let oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange, or even a livestock
water trough heater if the bubbler isn't enough to overcome the weather.
Old 15-08-2003, 04:11 AM
Jerrispond

you run the risk of freezing ground pushing in the sides. Once you have
plants and/or fish, you will definitely need to leave the water in.

I agree i wouldn't drain it either with or without fish in it.....I don't think
it would be good for ANY kind of liner to be exposed to below freezing
temps.....if it is filled with water it will not get that cold Jerri

want / need to install Pond bottom drain and Skimmer. Dude Ponds (moderated) 9 01-09-2007 09:03 PM
Botom drain in winter? Bill Stock Ponds (moderated) 4 12-06-2007 04:15 PM
do I need a bottom drain? Lydia Ponds 18 21-08-2003 06:22 AM
Need to Order Bottom Drain TODAY (maybe valves) - But Which Type? Lisa Ponds 12 06-06-2003 01:20 AM
Need to Order Bottom Drain TODAY (maybe valves) - But Which Dave Bell Ponds 0 29-05-2003 08:56 PM