Old 10-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Can you grow sweet potatoes please?

Rajinder wrote in message
I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown

them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

I tried to grow some that are supposed to be able to tolerate the UK
climate, these I bought from Marshalls the seed merchant last year. The
season was too short and the frost killed the plants before they made tubers
of any use.
The ground dwelling slugs also had a feast on the roots so I considered them
not a viable crop for me.
They may well flourish during the winter in the Punjab, but not everywhere
in India, doubt they would grow in the colder parts. The plants can't take
any frost.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.