Old 10-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Frogleg

Default Cubicle worker.

On 09 Aug 2003 22:01:39 GMT, (EvelynMcH)
wrote:

There are some decorative, non-edible miniature peppers that might work under
those conditions. The fruit is pretty, and stays on the plant for a long time.

You might also look into a "goldfish" plant, with has flowers that look like
-duh- goldfish. I was able to grow them and spaths (which do not have the color
you are looking for) on my desk with only distant window lighting and overhead
flourescents.

"Ornamental Peppers" require at least 4 hours of "full sun" per day.
"Goldfish Plants" (aren't they cute? Thanks for mentioning them.) grow
in "bright indirect" light. An office cubical with overhead
fluorescents just isn't enough light. Don't know about your own
conditions, but office ceiling light is often 12' or more away. (Am
still looking up comparisons of 'lumens' between lights and sun.)

Think of what we regard as comfortable reading (office) light. It's
*sure* not direct sun. We read in the shade -- whether under a tree or
a big hat. Even "bright, indirect" may be too bright for comfort.
Typical office plants are 'low light' ones. They survive, 'though
seldom bloom, in a fluorescent environment. The only plant I ever saw
bloom in an office was a Peace Lily. I'm sure that's not the *only*
one, but low-light bloomers are few and far between.