Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Joe

Default queen anne's lace - central flower

I just want to share this, in case anyone is as fascinated by this as I am:
I find that I notice a lot more since I've started photograhing flowers - I
never noticed before but there is a tiny purple-black flower right in the
center of all those other white flowers that make up a Queen Anne's Lace
flower. From what I've now read, this central flower is sterile and will not
produce seed - it might be there to attract pollinators. My pictures:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_2.html

(Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I find it pretty interesting).

--
Joe