Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Joe

Default queen anne's lace - central flower

I just want to share this, in case anyone is as fascinated by this as I am:
I find that I notice a lot more since I've started photograhing flowers - I
never noticed before but there is a tiny purple-black flower right in the
center of all those other white flowers that make up a Queen Anne's Lace
flower. From what I've now read, this central flower is sterile and will not
produce seed - it might be there to attract pollinators. My pictures:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_2.html

(Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I find it pretty interesting).

--
Joe

Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Bill R

Joe wrote:
I just want to share this, in case anyone is as fascinated by this as I
am: I find that I notice a lot more since I've started photograhing
flowers - I never noticed before but there is a tiny purple-black flower
right in the center of all those other white flowers that make up a
Queen Anne's Lace flower. From what I've now read, this central flower
is sterile and will not produce seed - it might be there to attract
pollinators. My pictures:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_2.html

(Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I find it pretty
interesting).

Very interesting Joe. We have lots of Queen Anne's Lace
around here but I have never seen one with a flower that
color. There is a whole field of it not far from me and the
next time I'm out with my camera I'll see if I can find one
like yours.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 11-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: Joe
Date: Sun, Aug 10, 2003 6:37 PM
I just want to share this, in case anyone is as fascinated by this as I
am:
I find that I notice a lot more since I've started photograhing flowers
- I
never noticed before but there is a tiny purple-black flower right in the

center of all those other white flowers that make up a Queen Anne's Lace

flower. From what I've now read, this central flower is sterile and will
not
produce seed - it might be there to attract pollinators. My pictures:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_2.html

(Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I find it pretty interesting).

--
Joe

Joe, thanks!!! I'd never grown Queen Anne's Lace before and I was wondering
when I saw that the other week when my QAL had begun to open.....but promptly
forgot to look it up. I don't believe that all the flower umbels have this
flower (at least I can't see it) so once pollinators are attracted to the
plants, it must be all they need.

I was also getting kinda thrilled to notice that some of my QAL looked as if it
was going to be the pink sort.....but it opened as white as the rest of the
plants.

Thanks again....I was poking at that deep red flower, thinking that perhaps it
was a speck of petal from another plant.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7wet and wetter
Old 11-08-2003, 06:06 AM

yes. isnt it adorable, it is one of the things I simply love about Queen Anne's
Lace. INgrid

Joe wrote:

I just want to share this, in case anyone is as fascinated by this as I am:
I find that I notice a lot more since I've started photograhing flowers - I
never noticed before but there is a tiny purple-black flower right in the
center of all those other white flowers that make up a Queen Anne's Lace
flower. From what I've now read, this central flower is sterile and will not
produce seed - it might be there to attract pollinators. My pictures:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_2.html

(Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I find it pretty interesting).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Alice Gless

Here's my contribution, not as expertly taken as yours. The one I photographed
seems to have two purple florets and purple on the stems as well although I can't
tell for sure.

http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/Lace.jpg

Someone posted a picture from another part of the country in the photography
newsgroup and it was the same way. I made mention of it, but no answers.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Roberta L. Mueller

No, Bill, he means the little red blossom is IN the single flower. It is
very tiny and off center. You have to look for it. I always wondered about
that too. BTW, they press beautifully and once I received a Christmas card
from Germany with a gold-painted QAL flower that looked like a (gold)
snowflake. I also made Christmas cards one year using them.

Roberta