Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
SugarChile

Default Bag worms

I had these one year, on the arborvitae and the hinoki cypress. I picked
all of them that I could reach; I might have missed a few. The next year
there were a few bags, and I picked them as well. I haven't seen any since.
So based on my experience, I would rank handpicking as an effective method
of control.

I think you are right in your assumption that they are only vulnerable to
pesticides for a short period in the spring. Your local extension office
should have the information on how to time that if you feel you need it.
See: http://www.extension.psu.edu/extmap.html

In other words, don't panic.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Tono" wrote in message
I just realized these have covered one arborvitae. They have already
attached their silk lined sleeping bags to the branches and most have
closed the hatch, getting ready to lay eggs I guess.

Yes, I searched google and found a million posts, but didn't find what
to do if you have just discovered them this time of year. I have picked
off one or two hundred bags. Dropped them in a bucket of water with a
lot of bleach. Not a friendly death, but what can one do?

My concern is what about all the ones I missed? I read up to 2000 eggs
per sack! I don't like to use poison, but will use it if I have to. It
seems like it will do the best if I wait for spring/summer for them to
hatch, then spray. I don't know if using any spray now will get to them
inside their sack?

All help appreciated,
Tono
SouthEastern PA zone 6