Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Tono

Default Bag worms

I just realized these have covered one arborvitae. They have already
attached their silk lined sleeping bags to the branches and most have
closed the hatch, getting ready to lay eggs I guess.

Yes, I searched google and found a million posts, but didn't find what
to do if you have just discovered them this time of year. I have picked
off one or two hundred bags. Dropped them in a bucket of water with a
lot of bleach. Not a friendly death, but what can one do?

My concern is what about all the ones I missed? I read up to 2000 eggs
per sack! I don't like to use poison, but will use it if I have to. It
seems like it will do the best if I wait for spring/summer for them to
hatch, then spray. I don't know if using any spray now will get to them
inside their sack?

All help appreciated,
Tono
SouthEastern PA zone 6

Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
SugarChile

I had these one year, on the arborvitae and the hinoki cypress. I picked
all of them that I could reach; I might have missed a few. The next year
there were a few bags, and I picked them as well. I haven't seen any since.
So based on my experience, I would rank handpicking as an effective method
of control.

I think you are right in your assumption that they are only vulnerable to
pesticides for a short period in the spring. Your local extension office
should have the information on how to time that if you feel you need it.
See: http://www.extension.psu.edu/extmap.html

In other words, don't panic.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 11-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Rusty

Tono wrote:
[...]

I discovered bag worms on our leyland cypress. I didn't realize what
they were at first. I called Lawn Dr. and they sprayed them with sevin.
It seems to have done the trick. They were very active and now there is
no activity. Hope that helps. Rusty

Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Chris Owens

Wait until the worms emerge in spring, and spray with pyrethrin.
That and diligent bag removal should be all you need.

Chris Owens

Tono wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
"Army Worms", "Bag Worms", ?? Chrissie Texas 0 22-06-2007 06:13 AM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM