Old 11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Bill R

Default queen anne's lace - central flower

Joe wrote:
I just want to share this, in case anyone is as fascinated by this as I
am: I find that I notice a lot more since I've started photograhing
flowers - I never noticed before but there is a tiny purple-black flower
right in the center of all those other white flowers that make up a
Queen Anne's Lace flower. From what I've now read, this central flower
is sterile and will not produce seed - it might be there to attract
pollinators. My pictures:

http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_1.html
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/arboret...en_anne_2.html

(Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I find it pretty
interesting).

Very interesting Joe. We have lots of Queen Anne's Lace
around here but I have never seen one with a flower that
color. There is a whole field of it not far from me and the
next time I'm out with my camera I'll see if I can find one
like yours.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850