Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Frankhartx

Default black bottom tomatoes

From: (Sly boots 9)

my crop of tomatoes is not so great. Some of the fruit has black, flat
bottoms.
What is this, what causes this and can I prevent it. Any help, thanks

Blossom end rot is a common problem. Uneven watering and other environmental
conditions prevelent in the early part of the season cause a lack of calcium
metabolism even though that element may be present in sufficient quantities in
the soil. The good news is that it usually clears up by itself as the season
progresses, There are a number of home remedies which serve best to make one
fell like one is doing something instead of just waiting for the problem to go
away