Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Sly boots 9

Default black bottom tomatoes

my crop of tomatoes is not so great. Some of the fruit has black, flat bottoms.
What is this, what causes this and can I prevent it. Any help, thanks
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Bill Bolle

Sly boots 9 wrote:
my crop of tomatoes is not so great. Some of the fruit has black, flat bottoms.
What is this, what causes this and can I prevent it. Any help, thanks

Do a google search for "blossom end rot".

Bill

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Lee Hall

(Frankhartx) wrote in message ...
From:
(Sly boots 9)

my crop of tomatoes is not so great. Some of the fruit has black, flat
bottoms.
What is this, what causes this and can I prevent it. Any help, thanks

Blossom end rot is a common problem. Uneven watering and other environmental
conditions prevelent in the early part of the season cause a lack of calcium
metabolism even though that element may be present in sufficient quantities in
the soil. The good news is that it usually clears up by itself as the season
progresses, There are a number of home remedies which serve best to make one
fell like one is doing something instead of just waiting for the problem to go
away

While this may be true where you live, here in Tennessee it is not the
case. BER is mainly a late season problem here. I don't normally see
it until early to mid September. I usually harvest my first ripe
tomato around the first week of June. Our summers are normally very
hot and humid to start with followed by very hot and dry. I do concur
that uneven watering is usually the culprit. This summer has been the
exception, however, with relatively cool, wet days being the norm.
BER occurs when calcium metabolism in the plant is upset. This can be
caused by too much water, too little water or calcium poor soil.
Calcium poor soil is not the reason here but could be in some areas. I
recommend powdered gypsum to improve calcium poor soils as it will not
change the pH.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B -Tennessee but having a Washington summer
Old 11-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Kswck

Bottom rot or Blossom End Rot. Too late to fix it this year-I had that
problem last year. The soil needs some chemicals-I stand remember which
ones, but ask your local garden store and till them into the soil early
next year. One note: if you also grow cukes(squash, etc.) in that
garden, they do not like the chemicals for tomatoes. Keep that soil
separate.

Old 13-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Noydb

Kswck wrote:
One note: if you also grow cukes(squash, etc.) in that
garden, they do not like the chemicals for tomatoes. Keep that soil
separate.

This is new information to me. Would you care to elaborate on it?

Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 14-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Registered User

Apparently my tomatoes have Blossom end rot as well, the top of the fruit looks beautiful but th bottoms are horrid. I've notived tht the bottom most leaves on the plant turn yellow and get small brown spots all over them. Does this have anything to do with Blossom end rot or is it another problem that i can remedy by adding somethig to the soil? Thank you
Old 14-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Kswck

Noydb wrote:

Kswck wrote:
One note: if you also grow cukes(squash, etc.) in that

garden, they do not like the chemicals for tomatoes. Keep that soil
separate.

This is new information to me. Would you care to elaborate on it?

Bill

It's just lime. Cukes do not like a lot of lime in the soil.