Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Passiflora Query

"aardvark" wrote in
:

I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a
bay tree in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all
started to dy; in all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and
started to climb throught hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but
does anyone think they could be connected - is the passiflora
poisoning these other plants?

I wouldn't have thought so. I have 2 passifloras which share their pots
with ivy-leaved geraniums and a small alpine whose name I forget, and
I've not observed this. They are greedy feeders.

If you are sure it's not lack of water, could it be the other way -
could you be overwatering them? Rosemary and bay both thrive best in
relatively dry sunny spots, and don't like to be sitting in water.

I suggest you dig about a bit in one of the pots : this is what I do
when baffled!

Check that water is getting down to the roots, not just running off the
top. If the compost has completely dried out, it's can look wet on the
top but be dry underneath.

Check that the compost is slightly damp but not soggy, and does not
smell unpleasant. If it does, repot and water less in future. Look out
for vine weevils in the pots.

Bill's suggestion about the light is also a good one, though I'd be
surprised if a healthy rosemary started to die at this time of year just
because of a bit of shade: maybe in the winter...

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall