Old 11-08-2003, 09:32 AM
aardvark

Default Passiflora Query

I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a bay tree
in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all started to dy; in
all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and started to climb throught
hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but does anyone think they could be
connected - is the passiflora poisoning these other plants?

Any advice or observations appreciated greatly, as wlays!

best regards

rob

Old 11-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Jim W

aardvark wrote:

I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a bay tree
in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all started to dy; in
all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and started to climb throught
hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but does anyone think they could be
connected - is the passiflora poisoning these other plants?

Any advice or observations appreciated greatly, as wlays!

best regards

rob

Doubt it though it may be competing with them for water/ light.

Whats the soil like..? It is very very hot at the mo.. I should think
we'll see a lot of plants popping it that aren't cared for in the heat.
//
Jim
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 AM
aardvark

No, don't think it's a water problem as it started long before the hot
weather

Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 AM
aardvark

Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM
billtheburglar

"aardvark" wrote in message ...
I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a bay tree
in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all started to dy; in
all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and started to climb throught
hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but does anyone think they could be
connected - is the passiflora poisoning these other plants?

Any advice or observations appreciated greatly, as wlays!

best regards

rob

Not poison I think - the only plant I have read about as poisoning
other plants is the walnut and even that afaik only inhibits rather
than killing. But it could be killing them by shading them out.
Rosemary & bay need all the sun they can get in this country. so i'd
move the bay pot and cut the passiflora right back off the rosemary. I
assume "try" is a typo for something else but whatever it is would
probably thank you for some extra light too

Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Victoria Clare

"aardvark" wrote in
:

I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a
bay tree in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all
started to dy; in all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and
started to climb throught hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but
does anyone think they could be connected - is the passiflora
poisoning these other plants?

I wouldn't have thought so. I have 2 passifloras which share their pots
with ivy-leaved geraniums and a small alpine whose name I forget, and
I've not observed this. They are greedy feeders.

If you are sure it's not lack of water, could it be the other way -
could you be overwatering them? Rosemary and bay both thrive best in
relatively dry sunny spots, and don't like to be sitting in water.

I suggest you dig about a bit in one of the pots : this is what I do
when baffled!

Check that water is getting down to the roots, not just running off the
top. If the compost has completely dried out, it's can look wet on the
top but be dry underneath.

Check that the compost is slightly damp but not soggy, and does not
smell unpleasant. If it does, repot and water less in future. Look out
for vine weevils in the pots.

Bill's suggestion about the light is also a good one, though I'd be
surprised if a healthy rosemary started to die at this time of year just
because of a bit of shade: maybe in the winter...

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Charlie Pridham

"aardvark" wrote in message
I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a bay

tree
in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all started to dy;

in
all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and started to climb

throught
hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but does anyone think they could be
connected - is the passiflora poisoning these other plants?

Any advice or observations appreciated greatly, as wlays!

best regards

rob

Yes the Passiflora is guilty, but it is not poisoning them but cutting out
the light, neither Bay nor Rosemary will tolerate being overgrown for very
long before dieing back.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Jason Pope

aardvark wrote:
I have a long Passiflora growing along my wall. My rosemary bush, a bay tree
in a pot and a small try which are adjacent to it have all started to dy; in
all cases the passiflora has jumped into them and started to climb throught
hem. I thouhg nothing of it until now, but does anyone think they could be
connected - is the passiflora poisoning these other plants?

Any advice or observations appreciated greatly, as wlays!

best regards

rob

It's called choking, basically the passiflora grows among the other
plants with it's own leaves which prevent the leaves of the "scaffold"
plant from access to the sunlight.

Jason