Old 13-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Garden Report: Squash Borers Wreak Havoc as Japanese Beetles Invade Raspberries

From: Phaedrine Stonebridge
Date: Mon, Aug 11, 2003 12:11 PM
In article ,
Pat Meadows wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:10:31 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

On the more humorous side, just as it was starting to turn dark last

evening, I reached down to pluck what I thought was a raspberry, as we

walked in the garden. When I felt fuzz, I backed off. Yes, it was a

gigantic bumblebee! In fact, a whole gaggle of them were sleeping in

the raspberries. Do bumblebees sting?

They sure do, and it really hurts - I've been stung by them
more than once. They don't usually seem to be aggressive,
though.

No I have not usually found them aggressive either. They sure like the
Lamb's Ears!

I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a bumblebee by mistake, usually
whilst deadheading, when they're having a snooze under or inside a faded
flower. All I get is a warning buzz; I've never been stung. Sometimes I
almost want to test my luck and pet one. Actually I've never once been stung
in my garden and I get right in there with the bees when I'm working. I adore
watching them, no matter what.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7with a wee bit of sun today.....