Old 11-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Garden Report: Squash Borers Wreak Havoc as Japanese Beetles Invade Raspberries

Aug 10, 2003

Just when everything is going peacefully, along comes another enslaught
of creatures from hell, just wating to have a gourmet feast at the
expense of all your labors.

As we were doing our weekend morning rounds today, we discovered that
those awful squash borers had made a home in our Raven zucchinis which
only recently started producing really well. Caught without any
syringes, we had to do the plant surgery and bury-the-stem-thing. An
ugly problem.

We have a difference of opinion going here on the worsening Japanese
beetle problem. My DH is catching gazillions of them with lures but it
seems to me that we have way, way more than we did last year WITHOUT the
darn lures. Now they have invaded the raspberries and one of the pole
beans. Three acres is a lot to cover with milky spore but even if we
did some of it each year, it seems like it would have to be better than
the infestation we have now.

On the more humorous side, just as it was starting to turn dark last
evening, I reached down to pluck what I thought was a raspberry, as we
walked in the garden. When I felt fuzz, I backed off. Yes, it was a
gigantic bumblebee! In fact, a whole gaggle of them were sleeping in
the raspberries. Do bumblebees sting? Today, once buzzed me
incessantly for a half hour off and on until I finally had to come in
the house. No perfume. DH though it was my bright pink shirt--- yes he
thought I looked like one big flower. lol Then later, I thought maybe
it was the one I nearly pinched last night!!!

Happy gardening.

Phae
Old 11-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:10:31 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

On the more humorous side, just as it was starting to turn dark last
evening, I reached down to pluck what I thought was a raspberry, as we
walked in the garden. When I felt fuzz, I backed off. Yes, it was a
gigantic bumblebee! In fact, a whole gaggle of them were sleeping in
the raspberries. Do bumblebees sting?

They sure do, and it really hurts - I've been stung by them
more than once. They don't usually seem to be aggressive,
though.

Pat

Old 11-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

On the more humorous side, just as it was starting to turn dark last
evening, I reached down to pluck what I thought was a raspberry, as we
walked in the garden. When I felt fuzz, I backed off. Yes, it was a
gigantic bumblebee! In fact, a whole gaggle of them were sleeping in
the raspberries. Do bumblebees sting?

They sure do, and it really hurts - I've been stung by them
more than once. They don't usually seem to be aggressive,
though.

No I have not usually found them aggressive either. They sure like the
Lamb's Ears!
Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Tyra Trevellyn said:

I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a bumblebee by mistake, usually
whilst deadheading, when they're having a snooze under or inside a faded
flower. All I get is a warning buzz; I've never been stung. Sometimes I
almost want to test my luck and pet one.

Do it! Pet one! I do it. Mostly in the evening when they are settling down,
Sometimes they push at me with a leg, but I've never been stung.

So far I've only seen two Japanese beetles (and squished both). One was
on the raspberries and the other was on the zinnias.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,

From: Phaedrine Stonebridge
Date:
Mon, Aug 11, 2003 12:11 PM Message-id:

wrote:

On the more humorous side, just as it was starting to turn dark
last evening, I reached down to pluck what I thought was a raspberry,
as we walked in the garden. When I felt fuzz, I backed off. Yes, it
was a gigantic bumblebee! In fact, a whole gaggle of them were
sleeping in the raspberries. Do bumblebees sting?

They sure do, and it really hurts - I've been stung by them more
than once. They don't usually seem to be aggressive, though.

No I have not usually found them aggressive either. They sure like
the Lamb's Ears!

I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a bumblebee by mistake,
usually whilst deadheading, when they're having a snooze under or
inside a faded flower. All I get is a warning buzz; I've never been
stung. Sometimes I almost want to test my luck and pet one.
Actually I've never once been stung in my garden and I get right in
there with the bees when I'm working. I adore watching them, no
matter what.

Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7with a wee bit of sun today.....

I also love watching them. In the very early morning when the aether
has not yet been cursed by the sounds of revving engines, I like to mull
around among them as I tend the garden, pretend the bees have welcomed
me to their domain and that their little buzzes are pleasant gossip they
exchange while performing their daily tasks.

Phae

Squash vine borers Katey Didd Edible Gardening 48 21-08-2011 10:33 AM
Please help! Poplar stump and its roots causing havoc ellison United Kingdom 7 20-08-2010 02:23 PM
Squash Vine Borers Manelli Family Edible Gardening 19 29-06-2007 02:42 AM
Squash vine Borers Jim Marrs Texas 5 04-06-2004 07:19 PM
Summer Squash: Stem borers and fertilization. Justin Henry North Carolina 5 18-07-2003 05:32 AM