Old 13-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Sharon

Default Plumeria

On 8/12/03 3:29 AM, MLW wrote:
"animaux" wrote in message
Knowing absolutely nothing about Plumeria, I bought one last spring for a

few
dollars, about a foot tall. In one year it has grown to about 9 feet

tall. It
has two main stalks, both with foliage and ongoing flowers in the center.

I've read that, in winter to dig it out of the container and store it dry

in a
closet and plant in again in spring and it will survive. Is this true?

If it
is, I'll have a much larger spot for it than in my greenhouse, which has a
center height of nine feet.

I'm in Central Florida so all my plumeria trees are in the ground. They
are doing really well this year. A couple of mine are 8-10 feet tall with
very pretty flowers.

My sister has a large yellow plumeria that she has to trim all the time
because it's near a pathway. She puts the cut pieces in her shed and just
lets them sit there. When she went to get a couple pieces to give to my
daughter, she found two of them were blooming. They didn't even have roots
on them and had been in the shed for quite a while.

I have yellow, white, light pink, dark pink and rainbow plumerias. I think
my yellow one has the best fragrance. I hope my seedlings produce pretty
flowers, or any flowers for that matter. I will like them no matter what
they turn out to be. What color is the plant you have?

The plumeria site I told Sharon about http://www.io.com/~jrm/plumeria.html
has a whole section about plumeria care. This is what they advise.

Before storage, the plumeria should be defoliated. The best way to do this
is to cut each and every leaf off the plant at a point about 2 cm from the
stem. If you don't defoliate, the leaves will yellow and fall off during
storage providing a good environment for pests and fungus (as well as make a
mess).

Store the plumeria in a cool to warm, dry, and ventilated area such as a
garage, storage shed, or your living room. Temperatures should not be
allowed to fall below freezing in the storage area. During exceptionally
cold periods, for example below 25°F outside, a small supplemental heater
may be required for plants stored in unheated sheds. A cool greenhouse is
not recommended for plumeria storage because it will tend to be too damp and
thus promote black tip fungus and other fungus problems

Mary

Mary,

I live in Arizona and would like to have my Plumeria in the ground all
year also...once I have big enough ones that is. *G* Do you have to do
anything different with them in the winter when they're in the
ground....such as not watering?

Sharon