Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Sharon

Default Plumeria

Has anyone had success starting plumeria from seed?

Sharon

Old 11-08-2003, 11:32 AM
MLW

"Sharon" wrote in message
Has anyone had success starting plumeria from seed?

Sharon

A few years ago I was lucky enough to get 15 seedlings from some plumeria
seeds I had. They are 3 years old now and haven't bloomed yet. From what I
read, that's normal. I followed the instructions on this page
http://www.io.com/~jrm/plum006.htm

Mary

Old 11-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Sharon

On 8/11/03 3:25 AM, MLW wrote:
"Sharon" wrote in message
Has anyone had success starting plumeria from seed?

Sharon

A few years ago I was lucky enough to get 15 seedlings from some plumeria
seeds I had. They are 3 years old now and haven't bloomed yet. From what I
read, that's normal. I followed the instructions on this page
http://www.io.com/~jrm/plum006.htm

Mary

Mary,

Thanks for the reply. I planted my seeds somewhat like that except that
I did not let the seeds set overnight in a damp paper towel. It's been a
week now. The seeds looked link of "old" when I planted them but I'm
told that is normally. I guess I'll soon find out if mine germinate. I'm
misting them daily.

Thanks,
Sharon

Old 12-08-2003, 02:02 AM
MLW

Thanks for the reply. I planted my seeds somewhat like that except that
I did not let the seeds set overnight in a damp paper towel. It's been a
week now. The seeds looked link of "old" when I planted them but I'm
told that is normally. I guess I'll soon find out if mine germinate. I'm
misting them daily.

Thanks,
Sharon

Good luck with them. I can't wait for mine to bloom but there's no sign of
that yet on any of them. I gave a couple to my daughter. I'll have to ask
her how they're doing.
Mary

Old 12-08-2003, 05:22 AM
animaux

Knowing absolutely nothing about Plumeria, I bought one last spring for a few
dollars, about a foot tall. In one year it has grown to about 9 feet tall. It
has two main stalks, both with foliage and ongoing flowers in the center.

I've read that, in winter to dig it out of the container and store it dry in a
closet and plant in again in spring and it will survive. Is this true? If it
is, I'll have a much larger spot for it than in my greenhouse, which has a
center height of nine feet.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:32 AM
MLW

"animaux" wrote in message
Knowing absolutely nothing about Plumeria, I bought one last spring for a

few
dollars, about a foot tall. In one year it has grown to about 9 feet

tall. It
has two main stalks, both with foliage and ongoing flowers in the center.

I've read that, in winter to dig it out of the container and store it dry

in a
closet and plant in again in spring and it will survive. Is this true?

If it
is, I'll have a much larger spot for it than in my greenhouse, which has a
center height of nine feet.

I'm in Central Florida so all my plumeria trees are in the ground. They
are doing really well this year. A couple of mine are 8-10 feet tall with
very pretty flowers.

My sister has a large yellow plumeria that she has to trim all the time
because it's near a pathway. She puts the cut pieces in her shed and just
lets them sit there. When she went to get a couple pieces to give to my
daughter, she found two of them were blooming. They didn't even have roots
on them and had been in the shed for quite a while.

I have yellow, white, light pink, dark pink and rainbow plumerias. I think
my yellow one has the best fragrance. I hope my seedlings produce pretty
flowers, or any flowers for that matter. I will like them no matter what
they turn out to be. What color is the plant you have?

The plumeria site I told Sharon about http://www.io.com/~jrm/plumeria.html
has a whole section about plumeria care. This is what they advise.

Before storage, the plumeria should be defoliated. The best way to do this
is to cut each and every leaf off the plant at a point about 2 cm from the
stem. If you don't defoliate, the leaves will yellow and fall off during
storage providing a good environment for pests and fungus (as well as make a
mess).

Store the plumeria in a cool to warm, dry, and ventilated area such as a
garage, storage shed, or your living room. Temperatures should not be
allowed to fall below freezing in the storage area. During exceptionally
cold periods, for example below 25°F outside, a small supplemental heater
may be required for plants stored in unheated sheds. A cool greenhouse is
not recommended for plumeria storage because it will tend to be too damp and
thus promote black tip fungus and other fungus problems

Mary

Old 12-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:29:11 GMT, "MLW" wrote:

I'm in Central Florida so all my plumeria trees are in the ground. They
are doing really well this year. A couple of mine are 8-10 feet tall with
very pretty flowers.

My sister has a large yellow plumeria that she has to trim all the time
because it's near a pathway. She puts the cut pieces in her shed and just
lets them sit there. When she went to get a couple pieces to give to my
daughter, she found two of them were blooming. They didn't even have roots
on them and had been in the shed for quite a while.

I have yellow, white, light pink, dark pink and rainbow plumerias. I think
my yellow one has the best fragrance. I hope my seedlings produce pretty
flowers, or any flowers for that matter. I will like them no matter what
they turn out to be. What color is the plant you have?

Mine is pink and has a lovely, gentle fragrance. The brugmansia's out fragrance
just about anything I grow.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Sharon

On 8/11/03 7:52 PM, animaux wrote:
[...]

Here is another good site on Plumeria I found through the "Gardening in
Arizona" forum. The discussions here is what got me so interested in
Plumeria. http://www.plumeria101.com/index.html

Sharon

Old 13-08-2003, 04:13 AM
MLW

"animaux" wrote in message
:

Mine is pink and has a lovely, gentle fragrance. The brugmansia's out

fragrance
just about anything I grow.

I have an Equador Pink Brugmansia and another one that looks like the
Peaches and Cream that Logees sells. I've had a hard time with these plants
but both seem to be coming along this year. Last week the peach one was
blooming. I don't get a really strong fragrance from either the peach or
the pink flowers. Maybe I just don't check them late enough in the
evening. They're really beautiful and I hope I won't kill these like I have
other years.

Mary

Old 13-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Sharon

On 8/12/03 3:29 AM, MLW wrote:
"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

I live in Arizona and would like to have my Plumeria in the ground all
year also...once I have big enough ones that is. *G* Do you have to do
anything different with them in the winter when they're in the
ground....such as not watering?

Sharon

Old 13-08-2003, 11:02 AM
MLW

"Sharon" wrote in message

On 8/12/03 3:29 AM, MLW wrote:

I live in Arizona and would like to have my Plumeria in the ground all
year also...once I have big enough ones that is. *G* Do you have to do
anything different with them in the winter when they're in the
ground....such as not watering?

Sharon

I don't water much in the winter months. I haven't had to water much lately
either because of all the rain we're getting here in central Florida.
Things are growing like crazy.

I have some small plumerias in the ground and if we get the threat of a
freeze I will probably cover them with old sheets. But the big plants are
on their own. I let nature take it's course and hope something will be left
when the warm weather comes back.

Mary

Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Sharon

On 8/13/03 2:50 AM, MLW wrote:
"Sharon" wrote in message

On 8/12/03 3:29 AM, MLW wrote:

I live in Arizona and would like to have my Plumeria in the ground all
year also...once I have big enough ones that is. *G* Do you have to do
anything different with them in the winter when they're in the
ground....such as not watering?

Sharon

I don't water much in the winter months. I haven't had to water much lately
either because of all the rain we're getting here in central Florida.
Things are growing like crazy.

I have some small plumerias in the ground and if we get the threat of a
freeze I will probably cover them with old sheets. But the big plants are
on their own. I let nature take it's course and hope something will be left
when the warm weather comes back.

Mary

We very seldom get any rain in Lake Havasu City, Arizona where I live,
so we have an underground sprinkler system to water the plants. Should I
shut off the ones to the plumeria in the winter?

Sharon

Old 13-08-2003, 11:34 PM
MLW

We very seldom get any rain in Lake Havasu City, Arizona where I live,
so we have an underground sprinkler system to water the plants. Should I
shut off the ones to the plumeria in the winter?

Sharon

I've read that once the average ambient temperature drops below 65°F you
should stop feeding and reduce water to encourage the plant to go into its
natural dormant period. So it sounds like you should give them some water,
just not a whole lot.

GardenWeb has a plumeria forum that you might find helpful. I'm sure there
are lots of gardeners there that know much more than I do about these
plants. Maybe you would even find someone from your area who could give you
some tips for growing them in your climate. Here's a link
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/plumeria/

Mary

Old 14-08-2003, 05:02 AM
omi

"Sharon" wrote in message
I live in Arizona and would like to have my Plumeria in the ground all
year also...once I have big enough ones that is. *G* Do you have to do
anything different with them in the winter when they're in the
ground....such as not watering?

Sharon

I bought my plumeria stem at the AZ State Fair five years ago keep it
outdoors (Phx area) in a container all year. Last winter it lost all of
its leaves (first time it did this) but it leafed out okay in this
spring and has been in bloom for the past month. I keep it in filtered
shade in the summertime but in full sun in the winter. During last
winter's dormant period, I watered it once each week but the container
(15 gallon) has good drainage. A nurseryman told me his plumerias
always shedstheir leaves in the winter and not to worry. Nearly
everybody else here grows them in a greenhouse. -Olin