Old 13-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Can you grow sweet potatoes please?

Good idea. I would try.

Rajinder

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Rajinder wrote in message
I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet

potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have

grown
them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

I tried to grow some that are supposed to be able to tolerate the UK
climate, these I bought from Marshalls the seed merchant last year.

The
season was too short and the frost killed the plants before they made

tubers
of any use.
The ground dwelling slugs also had a feast on the roots so I

considered
them
not a viable crop for me.
They may well flourish during the winter in the Punjab, but not

everywhere
in India, doubt they would grow in the colder parts. The plants can't

take
any frost.

--

On thinking about it I am wondering if you could pot up and keep your

plants
growing slowly during the winter in a cool frost free place, greenhouse or
cool windowsill, and then plant them out end of May next year to get a

very
good start to the season. If we get another like this year it might just
work especially if we don't get a frost until late.
It's the length of the season that's the problem here.
Regards
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.