Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
dave weil

Default planting a cut rose

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:05:25 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

jammer wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:45:12 GMT, "mt2"
wrote:

I doubt if you can do that with a rose from a florist, however you can do it with a rose cut

fresh from a rose bush. If you have any clippings from neighbors or friends, you simply place the
cut end of the clipped rose in rooting hormone to coat the end and plant in the ground in a sunny
place. It will root there and grow. I have two clippings doing well two weeks later using that
manner of propagating.

Can you do it without rooting hormone?

Probably not, and why would you want to? RH is not expensive. You can get
it at Lowes or Home Depot or any garden center.

Also, it's not as "simple" as the original poster makes it out to be.
The failure rate for this type of rooting can be quite high, even when
you do the proper things, one of which is *not* to simply plant it in
a sunny place. Sure, you might get lucky, but the conventional wisdom
is that you really need to give it some shade in the early days. Also,
you have to make sure that it stays moist and never dries out until it
gets established (which can take weeks). Most people accomplish this
by creating a little mini greenhouse out of an open topped milk bottle
or the like.

I have yet to get a cutting to grow, but that's probably just my poor
cultivation. I *had* one growing nicely until my cat brushed up
against it and broke off one of the two sprouts that had formed.
Within a few days, the whole stem was black.

Does anyone have that link about rooting cuttings that is tossed
around here?