Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Travis

Default planted this Spring - plums thriving, apples pitiful

Lyne wrote:
I planted 2 apples and 2 plums at about the same time this
Spring. They are all within 50 feet of each other. The plums
are thriving and the apple trees really look pitiful. I
fertilized them the same and tilled the soil in an 8' circle
for all 4, mixing in some mulch and sand. The only difference
is that I think I had a little bit more mulch when I planted
the plums. Since the conditions and sunlight and soil are the
same, what could account for the difference?

Are the apple trees appropriate for your area?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5