Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Lyne

Default planted this Spring - plums thriving, apples pitiful

I planted 2 apples and 2 plums at about the same time this Spring.
They are all within 50 feet of each other. The plums are thriving and
the apple trees really look pitiful. I fertilized them the same and
tilled the soil in an 8' circle for all 4, mixing in some mulch and
sand. The only difference is that I think I had a little bit more
mulch when I planted the plums. Since the conditions and sunlight and
soil are the same, what could account for the difference?

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.
Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Travis

Lyne wrote:
I planted 2 apples and 2 plums at about the same time this
Spring. They are all within 50 feet of each other. The plums
are thriving and the apple trees really look pitiful. I
fertilized them the same and tilled the soil in an 8' circle
for all 4, mixing in some mulch and sand. The only difference
is that I think I had a little bit more mulch when I planted
the plums. Since the conditions and sunlight and soil are the
same, what could account for the difference?

Are the apple trees appropriate for your area?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Dwayne

Describe pitiful. Mine had the leaves turn brown and looked real sick.
Then I had two cedar trees removed that were pretty close, and never had the
problem again.

Dwayne

Old 15-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Chris Owens

Lyne wrote:

I planted 2 apples and 2 plums at about the same time this Spring.
They are all within 50 feet of each other. The plums are thriving and
the apple trees really look pitiful. I fertilized them the same and
tilled the soil in an 8' circle for all 4, mixing in some mulch and
sand. The only difference is that I think I had a little bit more
mulch when I planted the plums. Since the conditions and sunlight and
soil are the same, what could account for the difference?

Lots of things:

Are the trees appropriate for your climate?
Were the trees healthy when you bought them?
Have the apples been affected by a disease?
Are the apples getting too much or not enough of something?

Chris Owens

Old 17-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Lyne

Chris Owens wrote:

Lyne wrote:

I planted 2 apples and 2 plums at about the same time this Spring.
They are all within 50 feet of each other. The plums are thriving and
the apple trees really look pitiful. I fertilized them the same and
tilled the soil in an 8' circle for all 4, mixing in some mulch and
sand. The only difference is that I think I had a little bit more
mulch when I planted the plums. Since the conditions and sunlight and
soil are the same, what could account for the difference?

Lots of things:

Are the trees appropriate for your climate?

Yes.

Were the trees healthy when you bought them?

Yes. sort of spare-looking but that's how all of the apples that I
looked at looked. I went to several different places.

Have the apples been affected by a disease?

I don't know. New leaves are growing but not many. Some old leaves
have died, some are curled under. I don't see any holes in the leaves
(the plum leaves have some holes but still look great as a whole), or
insects. There are not any new branches.

The trees are in full sun.
It's possible that they may be too wet but I don't know how to cure
that.

Oh yeah - I mixed 10-10-10 in when I tilled the soil (same for plums).

My dogs are not peeing on the trees, by the way.

Are the apples getting too much or not enough of something?

Nothing different than the plums.

Chris Owens

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.

Old 17-08-2003, 12:02 PM
John Bachman

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:57:47 -0400, Lyne
wrote:

Chris Owens wrote:

Lyne wrote:

[...]

Did you buy bare root or with a ball?

If bare root - had they broken dormancy before planting?

If ball - was the ball moist?

John

[IMG] code is On

Iris not thriving Jeff Gardening 6 24-05-2006 06:19 AM
cateloupes not thriving ? :( Skyhooks Gardening 1 08-07-2004 08:02 AM
Boston Ivy - not thriving anymore Rick United Kingdom 0 19-05-2004 07:04 PM
Rhubarb not thriving Kayla Gardening 8 17-05-2004 02:02 PM