Old 14-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Banana squash question?

Repeating Decimal said:

I am new to growing squash. This summer, I am trying to grow a banana squash
in a hydroponic grower. I had trouble getting the seeds to germinate. I
attribute that to poor storage by the vendor. Anyway one started and is
growing very vigorously.

It appears to me that one of the embryonic squashes was able to suck up all
the energy made available. That one grew enormously while the others stayed
small. Is that a property of banana squash?

Banana squash are in the same species as Hubbards and buttercups,
Cucurbita maxima. Typically 1 or 2 good fruits can be expected per plant,
maybe 3-4 for some of the buttercups or Japanese kabocha types.

Another problem I am having is yellowing of the leaf edges. Am I better of
removing those leaves? That also will let more light get to the remaining
leaves.

I grow outdoors, in the ground. I've noticed that older leaves tend to die off for
various reasons. Removing them shouldn't hurt.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)