Old 13-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Banana squash question?

I am new to growing squash. This summer, I am trying to grow a banana squash
in a hydroponic grower. I had trouble getting the seeds to germinate. I
attribute that to poor storage by the vendor. Anyway one started and is
growing very vigorously.

It appears to me that one of the embryonic squashes was able to suck up all
the energy made available. That one grew enormously while the others stayed
small. Is that a property of banana squash?

I picked it at about 2 to 2.5 pounds. In part, it is to see if the other
squash will grow faster if there is no hog squash on the plant. By the way,
I had no idea that squash could be that good.

Another problem I am having is yellowing of the leaf edges. Am I better of
removing those leaves? That also will let more light get to the remaining
leaves.

The other thing I am going to try is to reduce the time the nutrient
circulates.

Bill

Old 14-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Repeating Decimal said:

I am new to growing squash. This summer, I am trying to grow a banana squash
in a hydroponic grower. I had trouble getting the seeds to germinate. I
attribute that to poor storage by the vendor. Anyway one started and is
growing very vigorously.

It appears to me that one of the embryonic squashes was able to suck up all
the energy made available. That one grew enormously while the others stayed
small. Is that a property of banana squash?

Banana squash are in the same species as Hubbards and buttercups,
Cucurbita maxima. Typically 1 or 2 good fruits can be expected per plant,
maybe 3-4 for some of the buttercups or Japanese kabocha types.

Another problem I am having is yellowing of the leaf edges. Am I better of
removing those leaves? That also will let more light get to the remaining
leaves.

I grow outdoors, in the ground. I've noticed that older leaves tend to die off for
various reasons. Removing them shouldn't hurt.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash Pavel314[_2_] Edible Gardening 2 23-08-2015 04:48 PM
Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Banana Tree Question Stan Gardening 4 06-11-2003 01:12 AM
Banana squash news Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 1 29-08-2003 02:02 PM
Banana squash? Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 3 22-08-2003 09:02 PM