Old 14-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default small corn cobs

dave and lynda wray said:

I have a small area 5 feet by 10 feet where I am growing "Peaches and
Cream " corn. Some of the cobs are the "normal" size and some just dont
seem to get very big. Any ideas what might be going on here?

I have a lot of smaller-than-normal ears this year. The stubby ears have only
been partially fertilized. The silks may have been damaged by beetles or
earwigs feeding on them, or the tassles might have been damaged by birds
feeding on them (yes, sparrows will sometimes eat the anthers off of corn
tassles), or the weather was not conducive to good pollination.

Me, I'm blaming the weather this year. The corn has been very late and
slow to develop.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)