Old 14-08-2003, 05:02 AM
dave and lynda wray

Default small corn cobs

I have a small area 5 feet by 10 feet where I am growing "Peaches and
Cream " corn. Some of the cobs are the "normal" size and some just dont
seem to get very big. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks
Dave

Old 14-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

dave and lynda wray said:

I have a small area 5 feet by 10 feet where I am growing "Peaches and
Cream " corn. Some of the cobs are the "normal" size and some just dont
seem to get very big. Any ideas what might be going on here?

I have a lot of smaller-than-normal ears this year. The stubby ears have only
been partially fertilized. The silks may have been damaged by beetles or
earwigs feeding on them, or the tassles might have been damaged by birds
feeding on them (yes, sparrows will sometimes eat the anthers off of corn
tassles), or the weather was not conducive to good pollination.

Me, I'm blaming the weather this year. The corn has been very late and
slow to develop.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 14-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Ross Reid

dave and lynda wray wrote:

I have a small area 5 feet by 10 feet where I am growing "Peaches and
Cream " corn. Some of the cobs are the "normal" size and some just dont
seem to get very big. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks
Dave

Are the smaller cobs on the same plant as the normal cobs?
Many of the newer hybrid varieties will produce 2 or more cobs on the
same plant but, usually only one will be "normal" size.

Ross.