Old 14-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Received flasks revisited

Geir,

Lately I have been mounting Polyrrhiza lindeni ghost orchids straight on to
a cedar shim from our lab's flasks as shown in this picture and hanging them
vertically under a wire bench.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ghostmount.jpg

I buy 12-packs of cedar door shims at Home Depot for 99 cents each pack.

Remember not to subject these seedlings to refrigerated AC for very long.
It is too easy to suck the moisture out of these plants.

I pre-soak the wood and the plants in bucket of captured rainwater then tie
the plants to the wood with telephone wire. I am very happy with the new
crop of mounted plants coming up and I do believe this is a mount the plants
do like. If the shim surface is a little scruffy then all the better.

If you have mounted your ghost orchids IN/ON sphagnum moss (as opposed to
Spanish Moss) you can (ie should) kiss them goodbye now before they take the
big crappola and die on you.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f.../ghostpix.html

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------------

"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
Thanks for all the advice.

A week or so ago, a white mold started growing from the cork of one of
the flasks. Since then, all the seedlings have been sitting in a
seedling tray with a transparent lid, and seem to be doing ok. The
polyrrhiza has been put on top of a pad of moss, the ascocentrum,
neofinetia and the angrecum are planted in a bark/coconut fibre mix.

Hope they continue to do as well in the future. I guess it is time to
start leaving the lid off.

Geir