Old 14-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Received flasks revisited

Thanks for all the advice.

A week or so ago, a white mold started growing from the cork of one of
the flasks. Since then, all the seedlings have been sitting in a
seedling tray with a transparent lid, and seem to be doing ok. The
polyrrhiza has been put on top of a pad of moss, the ascocentrum,
neofinetia and the angrecum are planted in a bark/coconut fibre mix.

Hope they continue to do as well in the future. I guess it is time to
start leaving the lid off.

Geir

Old 14-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Mick Fournier

Geir,

Lately I have been mounting Polyrrhiza lindeni ghost orchids straight on to
a cedar shim from our lab's flasks as shown in this picture and hanging them
vertically under a wire bench.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ghostmount.jpg

I buy 12-packs of cedar door shims at Home Depot for 99 cents each pack.

Remember not to subject these seedlings to refrigerated AC for very long.
It is too easy to suck the moisture out of these plants.

I pre-soak the wood and the plants in bucket of captured rainwater then tie
the plants to the wood with telephone wire. I am very happy with the new
crop of mounted plants coming up and I do believe this is a mount the plants
do like. If the shim surface is a little scruffy then all the better.

If you have mounted your ghost orchids IN/ON sphagnum moss (as opposed to
Spanish Moss) you can (ie should) kiss them goodbye now before they take the
big crappola and die on you.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f.../ghostpix.html

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------------

Old 15-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Mick Fournier" writes:
Lately I have been mounting Polyrrhiza lindeni ghost orchids straight on to
a cedar shim from our lab's flasks as shown in this picture and hanging them
vertically under a wire bench.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ghostmount.jpg

What kind of humidity do you have in your environment? I have about
50%. Can I still mount ghost orchids, or do I need to put them in a pot?

Remember not to subject these seedlings to refrigerated AC for very long.

Not a problem. Haven't got AC, just a fan moving things around a bit.

If you have mounted your ghost orchids IN/ON sphagnum moss (as opposed to
Spanish Moss) you can (ie should) kiss them goodbye now before they take the
big crappola and die on you.

Ok, and what is spanish moss, compared to sphagnum? (I probably know,
but my botanical english skills are nonexistent)

Geir
Old 15-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Ray

Mick is in south Florida, so his humidity is bound to be excruciatingly
high....

"Spanish moss" is the stringy bromeliad Tillandsia usnioides. It stays very
loose and springy when used to surround roots, so does not ever even think
about holding enough moisture to be "soppy."

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Ray" writes:
"Spanish moss" is the stringy bromeliad Tillandsia usnioides. It stays very
loose and springy when used to surround roots, so does not ever even think
about holding enough moisture to be "soppy."

Aha.

I need to go and see what I can get hold of, then. Right now, the
polyrrhiza is just lying on top of a sopping wet patch of the local
moss variant. The good news is that it doesn't contact the moss (yet),
but I will get rid of it anyway.

Geir

Old 15-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Ray" writes:
"Spanish moss" is the stringy bromeliad Tillandsia usnioides. It stays very
loose and springy when used to surround roots, so does not ever even think
about holding enough moisture to be "soppy."

Aha.

I need to go and see what I can get hold of, then. Right now, the
polyrrhiza is just lying on top of a sopping wet patch (well, it was
sopping wet a week ago, it should have dried out some now) of one of
the local moss variants. The good news is that it doesn't contact the

Old 15-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Mick Fournier

Ray,

It is sooooooo excruciating.

Mick

Old 15-08-2003, 10:11 PM
profpam

Hi, Mick,

It is good to see you back on rec.gardens.orchids. I just love the
neofinetia flasks you offer.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 16-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Ray

Been there, experienced that..

.. . . . . . . . . . .
.. .

Old 16-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Mick Fournier

Pam,

I just finished building a new bigger laminar flow transfer hood 4'x2'x30"
high and to celebrate I am currently replating all the Neofinetia falcata
flasks... they'll be even bigger in the bottles than my previous offerings,
especially now that I have finally discovered the perfect agar formula for
these wonderfully fragrant little guys.

Mick
----------------------------------

Old 16-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Mick Fournier

Ray,

I guess that makes us bof home boys.

Mick

Old 16-08-2003, 11:03 PM
profpam

Thanks, Mick for the note. One of these days, I am hoping to have the
funds to order the yellow variety and one of the vandas. In this
economy, things are pretty slow.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html
P. S. We have a flasking section in the program for those who use the
glove box.

Old 17-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Ray" writes:
"Spanish moss" is the stringy bromeliad Tillandsia usnioides. It stays very
loose and springy when used to surround roots, so does not ever even think
about holding enough moisture to be "soppy."

I have had a look around now. The substance that is most readily
available without being compact is something that translates to
"reindeer lichen". It is a pale green lichen, found in the mountains
which is very porous, stringy and doesn't hold much water.

Has anyone got any experience with this stuff used to grow polyrrhiza
lindenii?

Oh, well, I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

Geir

Old 17-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Mick Fournier

Geir,

Polyrrhiza enjoy lichen (as most orchids do)... I would definitely try some
of that stuff on a few of your mounts.

Mick

My flasks Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 0 24-09-2003 04:12 PM
Orchid Seedbank flasks on ebay Dewitt Orchids 1 13-09-2003 03:02 PM
flasks keith Orchids 4 07-09-2003 05:12 PM
Freshly received flasks Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 4 10-08-2003 01:12 AM
Source for Zuma flasks Loren Pollock Orchids 2 10-03-2003 09:20 PM