Old 15-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Passiflora Cultivars?

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fzpavb.6hz3aa1mxc4s9N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Nick Maclaren wrote:

So should be pretty hardy?

No. Constance Elliott is, but is less hardy than the blue form.
Amethyst isn't, and is a less hardy hybrid. Purple Rain, I don't
know about.

Amythyst is less hardy? Its listed as down to -8C.. That is one of
the ones I managed to find information on..

ANyway.. Thanks.. I will take cuttings as backup and see what I can get
away with.. We are quite sheltered here in London anyway..
//
Jim

Beware temp listings for passiflora, only P. caerulea is remotely hardy in
the UK "all the time" P. Amethyst is likely to survive -1 and then only if
not too wet. P. Purple haze and Purple Rain are both caerulea X Amethyst,
and are a bit hardier. P. incarnata hybrids are often sold as hardy but
dislike winter wet (used to the ground freezing in winter) Cuttings are
always a good idea!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk