Old 15-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Ray

Default Received flasks revisited

Mick is in south Florida, so his humidity is bound to be excruciatingly
high....

"Spanish moss" is the stringy bromeliad Tillandsia usnioides. It stays very
loose and springy when used to surround roots, so does not ever even think
about holding enough moisture to be "soppy."

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
"Mick Fournier" writes:
Lately I have been mounting Polyrrhiza lindeni ghost orchids straight on

a cedar shim from our lab's flasks as shown in this picture and hanging

them
vertically under a wire bench.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ghostmount.jpg

What kind of humidity do you have in your environment? I have about
50%. Can I still mount ghost orchids, or do I need to put them in a pot?

Remember not to subject these seedlings to refrigerated AC for very

long.

Not a problem. Haven't got AC, just a fan moving things around a bit.

If you have mounted your ghost orchids IN/ON sphagnum moss (as opposed

Spanish Moss) you can (ie should) kiss them goodbye now before they take

the
big crappola and die on you.

Ok, and what is spanish moss, compared to sphagnum? (I probably know,
but my botanical english skills are nonexistent)

Geir