Old 15-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Desperately Seeking Succor (Osteomeles)

I have a successful (but not outstanding) bonsai of Osteomeles
anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda, whose only fault is that it needs
regular fungicide spraying in this rainy weather.

Oh, man, you aren't kidding. I just successfully defeated a scale
infestation on it (its other big problem), and now I have blackspot
to deal with.

What I am trying to find out is 1. How do I get it to
bloom?

No idea.

2. How much of a dormant period does it need?,

Not much of one, that I can see. I bring it in every winter and it
does very well even under poor indoor conditions. It loses a few,
but not all, leaves, stops growing for a while, and then perks up
when I put it outside in spring.

and 3. When can I repot
it? It was last potted a year ago December, but it needs a smaller pot.

I'd certainly wait until spring. My tree literally bursts with new
growth in spring.

Incidentally, I definitely recommend it. The leaves are interesting, they
reduce well, it buds back sufficiently, it ramifies, it grows outdoors & under
lights; what more do you want?

Well, its growth-form defeats my ability to style it. It's a
scrambler, and I feel sure I'll someday figure out how to get it to
weep gracefully, but now it looks like a terrible hump-backed mistake.

--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: