Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

Default Want to Pick Gourds in Time for Gourd Festival!

sarab wrote:

My 6 yr. old daughter has grown some terrific snake gourds from plants
I bought at her kindergarten plant sale. A couple of them are 3 ft.
long. The gourd plant itself is starting to look beaten; leaves, vine
turning brown in some places. But - the stems of the gourds
themselves are still thriving.

If we picked them now, is there any chance they would cure properly in
5 wks? The annual state gourd festival is in early Sept. and my
daughter would love to enter the 10yr and younger "gourd animal"
division! If not, there's always the state fair in two months -

Thanks!

The gourds won't be ready to pick until their stems wither. If
you pick them earlier, they're likely to rot. How fast they will
cure really does depend on ambient conditions . . . warmer, drier
air and air movement -- to take the moisture away -- will speed
drying. So, I'd say that five weeks is probably pushing it.

Chris Owens