Old 13-08-2003, 04:13 AM
sarab

Default Want to Pick Gourds in Time for Gourd Festival!

My 6 yr. old daughter has grown some terrific snake gourds from plants
I bought at her kindergarten plant sale. A couple of them are 3 ft.
long. The gourd plant itself is starting to look beaten; leaves, vine
turning brown in some places. But - the stems of the gourds
themselves are still thriving.

If we picked them now, is there any chance they would cure properly in
5 wks? The annual state gourd festival is in early Sept. and my
daughter would love to enter the 10yr and younger "gourd animal"
division! If not, there's always the state fair in two months -

Thanks!

Old 13-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Bill R

sarab wrote:
My 6 yr. old daughter has grown some terrific snake gourds from plants
I bought at her kindergarten plant sale. A couple of them are 3 ft.
long. The gourd plant itself is starting to look beaten; leaves, vine
turning brown in some places. But - the stems of the gourds
themselves are still thriving.

If we picked them now, is there any chance they would cure properly in
5 wks? The annual state gourd festival is in early Sept. and my
daughter would love to enter the 10yr and younger "gourd animal"
division! If not, there's always the state fair in two months -

Thanks!

There is a lot of information on the net about curing
gourds. This Google link is a good place to start:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...gourds&spell=1
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 14-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

sarab wrote:

My 6 yr. old daughter has grown some terrific snake gourds from plants
I bought at her kindergarten plant sale. A couple of them are 3 ft.
long. The gourd plant itself is starting to look beaten; leaves, vine
turning brown in some places. But - the stems of the gourds
themselves are still thriving.

If we picked them now, is there any chance they would cure properly in
5 wks? The annual state gourd festival is in early Sept. and my
daughter would love to enter the 10yr and younger "gourd animal"
division! If not, there's always the state fair in two months -

Thanks!

By cured, do you you mean dried? Try 5 months. Only necessary if you
plan on saving it for the next 2,000 years (archeologists have found
much older ones). See if you can't just pick it a week before the show and
enter it uncured. Assuming the judges are decent sorts, they'll understand.
Old 15-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Olushola

I have play this African musical instrument called a balafon which is a type
of marimba with gourds underneath to resonate the sounds. Holes are put in
the gourds and thin paper over the holes to produce a buzzing sound when the
key struck. Really beautiful sound.

I haven't had much luck finding sources in America for strong gourds. I
usually get them from Africa. they are much more durable. Does this have
something to do with hot climate?

Olushola

"Bill R" wrote in message
sarab wrote:
My 6 yr. old daughter has grown some terrific snake gourds from plants
I bought at her kindergarten plant sale. A couple of them are 3 ft.
long. The gourd plant itself is starting to look beaten; leaves, vine
turning brown in some places. But - the stems of the gourds
themselves are still thriving.

If we picked them now, is there any chance they would cure properly in
5 wks? The annual state gourd festival is in early Sept. and my
daughter would love to enter the 10yr and younger "gourd animal"
division! If not, there's always the state fair in two months -

Thanks!

There is a lot of information on the net about curing
gourds. This Google link is a good place to start:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ing+gourds&spe
ll=1

Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

sarab wrote:

My 6 yr. old daughter has grown some terrific snake gourds from plants
I bought at her kindergarten plant sale. A couple of them are 3 ft.
long. The gourd plant itself is starting to look beaten; leaves, vine
turning brown in some places. But - the stems of the gourds
themselves are still thriving.

If we picked them now, is there any chance they would cure properly in
5 wks? The annual state gourd festival is in early Sept. and my
daughter would love to enter the 10yr and younger "gourd animal"
division! If not, there's always the state fair in two months -

Thanks!

The gourds won't be ready to pick until their stems wither. If
you pick them earlier, they're likely to rot. How fast they will
cure really does depend on ambient conditions . . . warmer, drier
air and air movement -- to take the moisture away -- will speed
drying. So, I'd say that five weeks is probably pushing it.

Chris Owens

Old 15-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Olushola wrote:

I have play this African musical instrument called a balafon which is a type
of marimba with gourds underneath to resonate the sounds. Holes are put in
the gourds and thin paper over the holes to produce a buzzing sound when the
key struck. Really beautiful sound.

I haven't had much luck finding sources in America for strong gourds. I
usually get them from Africa. they are much more durable. Does this have
something to do with hot climate?

Longer growing season. Oversized gourds need something like 160 days
minimum for decent quality fruits. Poly tunnels are helpful for
starting gourds (and other squash family members) in northern zones.

Olushola

"Bill R" wrote in message
..