Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

Default Dog Safe Fertilizer

Billy wrote:

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small
poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of hurting
the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in the
fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that will
not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical based
granuals.

The best time to fertilize is in the fall; fertilizing during the
growing season only stresses the grass. And, the best
fertilizer, IME, is one that's absolutely safe for critters:
compost. It can be very easy to apply; just use your spreader.
If you do wish to use a chemical fertilizer, still stick to doing
it in the fall; keep the dogs off the lawn until you have watered
it in or it's been washed in by a rain.

Chris Owens