Old 13-08-2003, 04:43 AM
Billy

Default Dog Safe Fertilizer

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small
poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of hurting
the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in the
fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that will
not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical based
granuals.

Thanks
--
Billy

Old 13-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Derryl Killan

Hi You can feed regular fertilizer at any time. Just water well and
it won't hurt your dogs.

Derryl
Calgary

Old 13-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:05:59 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small
poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of hurting
the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in the
fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that will
not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical based
granuals.

Thanks

After a rain your pets should be safe to use the lawn.
Old 13-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Warren

Billy wrote:
I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small
poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of

hurting
the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in

the
fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that

will
not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical

based
granuals.

As long as you're using fertilizer, and not weed and feed (fertilizer
mixed with herbicide), once you sprinkle or it rains there should be no
problem. And if you aerate before spreading, a good deal of it will fall
into the holes.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 13-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Paul Below

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:05:59 -0500, "Billy" wrote:

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs.

Top dress with compost.

Coffee grounds would work, too, but then your lawn might smell like
coffee.

Old 13-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Joseph Meehan

Few fertilizers will hurt most dogs, but some are more sensitive than
others. I suggest using a slow release organic fertilizer.

Of course fertilizing only once in the fall is not a bad practice for
many lawns.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
animaux

University studies have shown that an organic fertilizer in the range of 8-2-4
(the numbers on the bag telling you how much nitrogen, phosphorous and potash it
contains) is the absolute best fertilization a lawn could get.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/greenhouse.htm

Depending on where you live, it may vary in dates of application. I use seaweed
in my hose end sprayer. Can't get less toxic than that. Occasionally in fall
I use granular fertilizer and I use different brands as they are available.
I've used Sustane 8-2-4, Bradford alfalfa pellets, and When nothing is
available, I use a topdress of compost in fall after core aeration (which I have
done and it costs 40 dollars to have it done).

Victoria

Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
JNJ

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small
poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of hurting
the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in the
fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that will
not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical based
granuals.

Even better -- scratch the fertilizer and simply top dress with compost.
It's a better long term solution and your soil will thank you.

James

Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

Billy wrote:

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small
poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of hurting
the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in the
fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that will
not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical based
granuals.

The best time to fertilize is in the fall; fertilizing during the
growing season only stresses the grass. And, the best
fertilizer, IME, is one that's absolutely safe for critters:
compost. It can be very easy to apply; just use your spreader.
If you do wish to use a chemical fertilizer, still stick to doing
it in the fall; keep the dogs off the lawn until you have watered
it in or it's been washed in by a rain.

Chris Owens

Old 16-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Craig Toth