Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Default [IBC] Desperately Seeking Succor (Osteomeles)

In a message dated 8/15/03 10:01:47 AM, writes:
Well, its growth-form defeats my ability to style it. * It's a scrambler,
and I feel sure I'll someday figure out how to get it to weep gracefully, but
now it looks like a terrible humpbacked mistake.

Do you have the type variety or var. subrotunda? Mine came with the trunk
spiraled on Harold Sasaki's ladder device. All I had to do was cut back the top &
get it to sprout some branches. It's fine as a classic informal upright. The
type variety in Four Seasons of Bonsai fits your description. At least it
blooms.

I just successfully defeated a scale infestation on it (its other big
problem), and now I have blackspot to deal with.

I have very little trouble with it. Either my conditions are more conducive
(occasional spraying and No-Pest strips in the winter, colder climate) or the
variety is more pest & disease resistant.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++