Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
JennyC

Default smelly fig tree?

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi
I have just moved in to a new house & my neighbour informs me that

the tree
growing up the front of her house & part of mine, is a fig. I have

thought
for a number of weeks that a tomcat was spraying at the front of the

house.
I have now cleared all of the overgrown grass & removed the first

couple of
inches of soil & replaced it. The smell still persists. The smell

is very
strong. It can be smelled in the upstairs bedroom just as strong as
downstairs (so I do not think it is a cat).
Can you tell me if a fig tree smells & what I can do about it?
The tree is almost to gutter height (abt 15 feet) & has deeply lobed

dark
green leaves (each with 5 'fingers'). When a leaf is broken off a

white sap
(like a dandelion) oozes out.

Many thanks.

Hello Tony,
I've just been out and snuffed mine - no smell at all :~)

So it must be something else that's causing the pong.

here's an URL with fig info so that you can maybe rule out if it is or
not:
http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/figs/

Jenny