Old 15-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Tony

Default smelly fig tree?

Hi
I have just moved in to a new house & my neighbour informs me that the tree
growing up the front of her house & part of mine, is a fig. I have thought
for a number of weeks that a tomcat was spraying at the front of the house.
I have now cleared all of the overgrown grass & removed the first couple of
inches of soil & replaced it. The smell still persists. The smell is very
strong. It can be smelled in the upstairs bedroom just as strong as
downstairs (so I do not think it is a cat).
Can you tell me if a fig tree smells & what I can do about it?
The tree is almost to gutter height (abt 15 feet) & has deeply lobed dark
green leaves (each with 5 'fingers'). When a leaf is broken off a white sap
(like a dandelion) oozes out.

Many thanks.

---
No attachments unless advised in body of email.

Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
JennyC

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Tony,
I've just been out and snuffed mine - no smell at all :~)

So it must be something else that's causing the pong.

here's an URL with fig info so that you can maybe rule out if it is or
not:
http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/figs/

Jenny

Old 15-08-2003, 07:12 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa but we had the same problem with cats one year on the fig
tree but no trouble since for some reason

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 15-08-2003, 07:12 PM
BAC

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

I've just nipped out and smelled my two fig trees (the dog thought I was
mad). The leaves have a very very faint cat like odour, but this is only
noticeable after rubbing them, and not from more than an inch or so away
from my nose. I know an hotel where the dining room and conservatory is
overhung by several mature, large, fig trees, and I have never noticed any
particular odour from them.

That doesn't mean 'your' fig isn't stinking, for some reason, but they don't
all do it.

Old 18-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Robert Davies

I'm surprised by the three respondents saying that fig trees have no
scent - perhaps not everyone can smell it because to me they do have a
scent which can be quite strong, particularly on hot days. It's a
warm, pleasant, musky type smell which to me is very evocative of the
mediterranean, as - due I suppose to the heat - fig trees there seem
to be particularly strongly scented. We have several small fig trees
growing in the garden and my wife goes out of her way to sniff the
leaves because her family home has some large fig trees and the scent
brings back happy summer childhood memories.

Suppose it all depends on taste, but personally I'd be happy to have a
figgy scent drifting in through the bedroom window. I expect you've
been noticing it because of the recent hot weather - is it on a south
facing wall, which bakes the fig leaves and encourages them to give
off scent? Come the cooler weather I expect the smell will entirely
disappear. Ask your neighbout to give you a few ripe figs next year
and maybe you'll forgive the tree - they're delicious.

Robert

Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Tony

Yes it is on a south facing wall.
No amount of fruit would make up for the smell, which is just like a tomcat
spraying & VERY strong.
I hope it is only in very hot summers that it smells & that next year is not
hot!!

Many thanks

Tony