Old 16-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Alan Gould

Default new veg plot

In article , Jeanne Stockdale
writes
I was interested in Alan's reply as I want to extend my existing veg plot -
taking up some of my lawn. I had assumed that potatoes would be the right
crop to begin with - having always understood that potatoes were good at
breaking up the soil.

Potatoes grown in soil which has been down to lawn or not veg. cropped
for some time can often be attacked by wireworm, which is why they are
better left to follow a different crop.

After a potato crop has been lifted, the soil where they were grown will
be thoroughly broken up. Only a small part of that work will have been
done by growth of the tubers, the rest of it is done by the gardener
when preparing the rows. when planting, when earthing up the plants and
when cropping the harvest. In new soil it is much easier to prepare a
bed for a crop requiring less depth, then follow on with potatoes with
half the cultivation already having been done.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.