Old 16-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Peter65. Peter65. is offline
Registered User

Location: Yorkshire UK

Hello Graham,

Yes, I totally agree that it is all about getting that plot into good physical shape for next year. I don't think at 12' square you will be growing many potatoes if you also want to grow other crops.

It is true that traditionally a potatoe crop is used to break up the land by way of cultural avtivities as already described.

My advice would be to forget any crops for the rest of this year and just concentrate on incorporating as much organic matter as you can lay your hands on....in the form of garden compost and well rotted farm and stable animal manures (not pig). It is going to be hard at first but you need to break up that compacted ground to a reasonable depth in order to grow a variety of vege.

Stacking the turf is a good way of gaining some loam and roughage for container growing and also when sieved and preferably sterilised, a good potting compost base.

However, a preferable alternative in my view would be to double dig your new vege plot, chop the turf up and incorporate it into the second spit.

Keep a shallow trench open across the plot and empty all your degradable kitchen waste into it as it becomes available, covering over each time with polythene or if in sufficient quantity back fill over with soil. You will be surprised how quickly this will incorporate into the soil. Never use kitchen waste in the form of animal products though or you will attract vermin.

I once did this over a period of 12months on a very small plot -6'x10'and ended up with the blackest and most organic soil you coud imagine.

Peter.