Old 17-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Drakanthus

Default How do I ensure that all potatoes are out of the ground?

I've been digging potatoes for a few weeks now, and as I was going over
some
of the ground where they had been, I turned over some soil only to find

more
potatoes coming out of the ground, so how the devil do I make sure I've

got
them
all out, don't want potatoes growing there next year.

Alan

I think it is virtually impossible - no matter how careful you are when
lifting them. There seems to be always one tiny spud remain undiscovered
until the following year! Unless the stragglers grow where they really
aren't wanted I let them grow on - think of it as a bonus dinner! Another
thing that catches me out are potatoe peelings. Sometimes the occasional
peeling seems to make it through the composting process intact, gets dug
into the soil and gives rise to an unexpected plant.

Tomatoes seem to be the worse offenders for this - the seeds are notorious
for surviving composting and I've been pulling up tomatoe plants from all
over the garden and flower borders for the last few weeks.

Another self set hazard has been sunflowers. The birds seem to have
scattered seed from the feeder all over the garden. Again a few of these
have been allowed to grow adding a little unexpected height and variety to
the flower borders!

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).